Acrylic paint, stencils, pen and brush work, collage and oil pastels. The black and white pattern for the big trees/flowers was made from a photo of our shower curtain, which is aqua and white. I made a B&W print and cut out images.
Wanted to play around with abstracts, and the Documented Life Project 2016 has “your favorite number” as its prompt this week. I don’t really have a favorite, but I like the shapes of 3 and 5.
This page was going nowhere until I found this quote on Julie Balzar’s blog – Art Journal Every Day, August 12, 2016 post.
This journal page was inspired by one of Roben-Marie Smith’s tutorials. I liked how she used the egg shapes for a repeating element and for journaling.
Three pages are from the journal I’ve been working in recently – this one:
And a watercolor play and doodle page from another journal:
And two 4×6 cards: gesso, acrylic paint, black ink, and Gelly Roll pens. This was for a Documented Life Project 2016 prompt for this week: put a border on your art card.
The DLP challenge for this week was to use texture in a PAC (pocket art card). I used both non-dimensional and dimensional texture on these 4×6 cards. Here are the final versions. The step by step process is below.
I started with four 4×6 pieces of 140 lb hot press watercolor paper. Then I brushed some water on two of the cards, spritzed them with 3-4 colors of spray inks (I used SEI Tumble Dye – they dry permanent), and then laid the other cards on top to smoosh the color. I let them dry a bit and blotted them with a roll of paper towels.
and sprayed Dylusions spray inks in various areas, working quickly and not covering too much of the areas with the stencils. I repeated the stencils on the cards. TIP: I like to iron the cards after each process (and when they are dry). This sets everything and makes them lie flat to work on for the next step. I iron them between pieces of newsprint or regular printing paper.
Then I brought out some humble print and scratch objects – corrugated cardboard, a plastic toy piece to stamp a circle, and a nail. Added some more areas of white gesso, and stamped into or scratched into the gesso while it was still wet. This makes subtle, pleasing texture.
Now for some stamping. Use any rubber stamp or object you can ink up and then stamp. I used an old leather journal cover with raised lettering on it, rubbed a section with an ink pad and stamped on the cards – randomly. You could use any rubber stamps at this point.
Then I used molding paste to add dimension to the cards. With the small spatula, I spread molding paste through a stencil on to the cards.
And here’s how they looked. The molding paste here mostly stayed white. However, if I would have used more Dylusions (water soluble) spray inks underneath, the molding paste, stenciled areas would pick up some of the color and that would be very nice.
To add color to the molding paste areas, I used Dylusions spray inks, spritzed on to a paper plate and then added to the top of the stencils with a brush and my fingers. Just dab here and there, don’t plan too much; have fun!
Finally, after all were dry, I ironed each card between sheets of paper to flatten them out. Then I journaled a phrase or two on each card. Voila!!